Unleash Your Adventurous Spirit: Conquer Table Mountain
January 26, 2024 @ 6:30 am - January 28, 2024 @ 5:00 pm
Elevation: 3,971m (12,438ft)
Min pax: X6
Date: 26 – 28 Jan. 2024
If you’re yearning for an unforgettable hiking experience, look no further than Table Mountain. Nestled southwest of Lesatima and perched on the edge of the main escarpment, Table Mountain beckons with its awe-inspiring heights and untamed beauty.
Two Thrilling Approaches Await
Your journey to conquer Table Mountain offers not one, but two thrilling approaches to choose from.
Option 1: The Escarpment Climb
For those seeking a less-trodden path, the first approach begins with an ascent of the escarpment above Wanjohi, winding through various bands of lush vegetation. This route is rarely used, promising a sense of solitude and wonder as you make your way towards the summit.
Option 2: The Ridge Traverse
Alternatively, the second approach takes you along the rarely traveled ridges to the south of Lesatima. Starting from the summit of Lesatima, continue your hike southward along the main ridge of the Aberdares. After an initial steep descent, you’ll reach a serene small pool, perfect for a night’s camp. Replenish your energy here, then ascend the next peak on the ridge, followed by a somewhat lower peak. Descend to a col that offers a comfortable camping spot, all within a day’s reach from Nairobi. This segment from Lesatima takes between one and two hours.
From this col, continue to the next high point, and make a sharp right turn toward the rock castle (mentioned in route one). Descend into a picturesque valley and then ascend the side of the ridge leading you to the majestic Table Mountain. An alternative route involves continuing straight on before veering right to follow a subsidiary ridge that leads into the basin at the head of the valley. From there, ascend the ridge’s side and follow it to the summit. The final push from the campsite to Table Mountain takes between two and three hours.
A Weekend Adventure Awaits
Believe it or not, you can embark on this thrilling Table Mountain adventure over a weekend, starting from Nairobi. It’s a journey that promises not just breathtaking vistas but also a profound connection with nature and a sense of accomplishment.
Are you ready to conquer Table Mountain and create lasting memories? Join us on this remarkable hiking expedition led by seasoned guides who will ensure your safety and enhance your experience. Don’t miss your chance to make Table Mountain your triumph. Book your adventure today and be part of an exclusive group of adventurers who have witnessed its grandeur. Your epic journey awaits!
- All entrance fees as per itinerary
- Meals as per itinerary
- Game drives where included
- Professional guide
- Bottled water
- Items of personal nature such as telephone calls, tobacco, and drinks
- Gratuity and tips to driver/guides
- Prior to your trek, engage in regular walking and exercise to improve your fitness level.
- Opt for a dry season (January to March or July to October) for climbing or trekking to ensure better weather conditions.
Clothing and Gear:
- Wear comfortable, strong boots with good soles for trekking. Ensure larger boots at higher altitudes to accommodate layers of woolen or cotton socks.
- Dress in loose-fitting trousers, hiking shorts, or appropriate attire. Layer clothing for flexibility.
- Carry essential gear like thermal underwear, warm sweaters, woolen socks, a sleeping bag, foam rubber mattress, raincoat, sunglasses, and sun lotion.
- Pack a well-stocked medical kit, including painkillers, antibiotics, and other necessary medications.
Hydration and Altitude:
- Stay hydrated by drinking plenty of water to combat high altitude and dehydration.
- Ascend gradually and plan rest days between 3,700 and 4,300 meters (12,000-14,000 feet) to acclimatize.
- Descend immediately if symptoms of mountain sickness, such as breathlessness or severe headaches, appear.
Safety and Communication:
- Lock your bag to prevent theft or accidental loss.
- Purchase and carry high-energy foods, as well as a source of comfort like whisky, brandy, or vodka.
- Observe responsible trekking practices by carrying food, torches, candles, and lighter, and disposing of litter properly.
Inadequate Physical Preparation:
- Don’t underestimate the physical demands of trekking; prepare adequately for the journey to enjoy it fully.
- Avoid choosing the rainy season for climbing or trekking, as it may lead to challenging conditions.
Inadequate Clothing and Gear:
- Don’t wear inappropriate footwear or clothing for the terrain and altitude, as it can lead to discomfort and health issues.
- Avoid relying solely on nylon socks; opt for woolen or cotton socks for better insulation.
Neglecting Altitude and Hydration:
- Don’t neglect proper hydration, especially at higher altitudes; dehydration and mountain sickness can be severe.
- Avoid ascending rapidly without acclimatization; follow recommended altitude guidelines to prevent sickness.
Ignoring Safety Measures:
- Avoid neglecting the importance of carrying essential gear, medical supplies, and emergency items.
- Never dispose of litter irresponsibly; always clean up after yourself and maintain the natural environment.
Remember to prioritize your safety and well-being while trekking and climbing, and adhere to these do’s and don’ts to have a successful and enjoyable experience.
Booking Deadline: January 17,2024